Sunday, June 23, 2013

I am not a queen!!!

I am not a queen.  I do not collect or chase crowns. I am not a princess. I don't expect others to do for me.  I am a titleholder.  What is the difference you ask?  The difference is much the same as night and day, apples and oranges, etc.  A true titleholder is just that.  She is "holding" the title for one year.  It is up to her to keep it safe and leave it even better than it was when she was awarded it.  Her year should be dedicated to the service of others, not herself.  I serve my title, it does not serve me.  In the past three title holding years I have made over 700 appearances largely on behalf of charities, sometimes on behalf of sponsors, but never, let me repeat, NEVER for pay, self promotion or profit.  In fact my title holding years are costly, but I am BLESSED as I have been doing this for some time, my reputation as a working titleholder is well established and I have generous sponsors for every facet of my budget.  I travel for free and have places to stay in most major markets.  I also travel for work and haul my crown and sash with me, setting up appearances in the places I will already be.  I have this down to a science and can do it in my sleep.  I understand that holding a title is definitely an honor and a privilege but what I understand far more deeply is that it is a job!  It's a job I take quite seriously!!!  The Executive Director/President/CEO, whatever the title of the system is my boss!  I answer to them and not only to them but to the people that live within the realm of my title.  I am the marketing and public relations arm of the pageant...a position I know well both in pageantry and in the "real" business world.  In the years I have been competing I have been so incredibly lucky to have had some amazing "bosses" within pageantry, all of which are still my dear friends.  That is so huge to me!  That means I've done my job and I've done it well.  Please understand I am not pointing this out to pat myself on the back.  With my blogs it is important to me to educate the public about pageantry.  What is it? Why is it?  There are many popular misconceptions about who we are and what we do.  Part of what I hope to accomplish is to clear these misconceptions. 

You have all heard the age old statement about not judging a book by its cover.  I ask you to always bear this in mind.  None of us know anything about the book without opening it and reading it...all the way to the end!  Even then we should not judge.  This is not our function on the face of this Earth.  I believe we are all quite familiar with exactly who has that job! Hint...He lives not only above us but all around us.  Judging a human being for the way they live their life is His job and only His.  Judging a pageant...well now that's an entirely different subject!

When you think I am working hard in the months preceding a pageant, and I assure you I am, it is when I am awarded the title that my work truly begins in earnest!  I pray to be so blessed in less than a month.  I am ready, willing and more than able to "hold" the title of Mrs. International 2013.  I will serve it, as I have served those before it, with everything I have to give and then I will dig even deeper and give more!  I am ready to be your Mrs. International 2013.  It is now up to the panel of judges.  God Bless them for there are some truly amazing ladies vying this year...over 70 of us!  Their task will be difficult at best and I don't envy them the job ahead! 

So here we go...home stretch time!  My adrenaline is rushing, my work on becoming a better version of me is cranked up, my appearance schedule is doubled and I am smiling from ear to ear!!!  This is what I live for!  This is how I serve a world that has been so good to me!  I do this for the children of St. Jude, Regen Morris in particular, the heart attack and stroke survivors that I work with through the American Heart and Stroke Association and each and every one of YOU!

Have a blessed day and do something today to put a smile on the face of someone you have never met!  


2 comments:

  1. Dear Deborah,

    I appreciate you clearly highlighting what PAGREANTY really entails, what it means TODAY. 30 yrs ago when I was a 14 y/o, I watched the traditional annual televised pageant sitting next to my Mom & Dad. I always admired the talent part, was curious about "the ?" asked & the level of intelligence exhibited, yet the "beauty queen" aspect - which is what folks said back then in my neighborhood, got to me. I was concerned about the image girls & women portrayed of themselves, and the message to others.

    SERVICE to others was very important to me as my Daddy was a Disabled American Veteran. Visiting VETs in "old folk's homes" - what we called them back in the day, serving Thanksgiving meal to those in need, and hosting our annual picnic for severely disabled precious kids, was truly the highlight of my youth. Grateful I am for the values my 6'5" tall father and his devoted comrades; Disabled WWII, Korean and Vietnam Veterans instilled in me. Their Service Minded Big Hearts are beautiful images I wear in a locket close to my heart.

    YOU reminded me of this SACRED time in my life as I read your words, your deep conviction and steadfadt COMMITMENT to SERVING OTHERS. You just happen to be wearing a sash, a crown and a pair of pretty heels! Same message essentialy as I know how highly you regard and RESPECT all Armed Forces Service Members and their families. ALL Walks of Life!! SERVICE to OTHERS is your Mission I hear and see. Grateful I am to you Deborah, to your fellow pageant sisters, and to your husband & son who cheer you on from the sidelines. YOU & your "comrades" CHOOSE to Dedicate your lives to bettering not just our country, but our world (International Pageant) and all who inhabit it. ~

    Peaceful Blessings to you in your final stretch, and to All who SERVE with an innate DRIVE to HELP, GIVE, GUIDE, EDUCATE, PROTECT & BUILD Better Lives so All can RISE...

    Love & Light,
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather: Your words mean so very much to me!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you say and what you do to support, encourage and uplift others!!! You are amazing!

      Delete