Monday, April 22, 2013

Answering questions and clearing misconceptions...

Often I am asked about the money we make or the prizes we win as a part of pageantry.  If I were a rude person I would laugh loudly and derisively at these questions!  As I am not, I answer them as gracefully and graciously as possible.  It is up to each queen as to how she serves her title.  My title holding years are dedicated to the service of charities.  As such, I would never even consider charging for an appearance!  If I were to do that, it would negate my being there as it would take from the cause instead of giving to it.  This is true for most of us.  Each title holding year ends up costing the title holder in the $20,000.00 plus range.  We have entry fees, program ads, wardrobe for competition, photo sessions, make-up artists, hair stylists, coaches, appearance wardrobes, travel expenses, etc., that have to be paid for.  Back when I started competing, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, obtaining financial sponsors was reasonably easy.  These days people are still kind and generous enough to sponsor goods and services, but checks are rarely if ever given in this more than difficult economy!  Therefore this $20,000.00 comes directly from the queen and her family.  Contrary to popular belief not all titleholders are independently wealthy...in fact most aren't.  We don't do this to make money or financially profit.  We do it because the desire to serve burns within in us.  We must do this. We have no choice. 

Prizes are another funny!  I have been asked literally hundreds of times "What do you get if you win?"  My answer is always the same.  I get a very high platform from which to serve.  I get people to open their hearts and their check books for amazingly worthy causes.  I get a voice that is heard the world round.  Then they look askance at me and say, "No really, what kind of prizes?".  I can honestly say that I don't know!  It has never occurred to me to ask nor do I really care.  What I am interested in is winning to further the cause specifically of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Go Red for Women and generally all charities.  If there are prizes well then it will be like a little Christmas!  If there are not, then that's just fine too!  My prizes are already in place.  I have an incredible husband, a healthy stepson, a wonderful family and friends who love and support me in all I do!  I am blessed beyond measure and happy just to be able to do what I do with the care and kind encouragement that all of you supply! 

Happy Monday everyone!  Today is the beginning of a new week and provides even more opportunity to get out there and do good for others!!!  Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment